CSA Global Partner-Americas, Nigel Fung will co-chair at the upcoming 8th Annual Rocks and Stocks Virtual Conference 2021: Strategic Minerals, Canada at the Crossroads.
This one day Professional Development Series Live Online hosted by the CIM Management & Economics Society on Thursday, November 4, 2021 commences at 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
The Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM) is the leading not-for-profit technical society of professionals in the Canadian minerals, metals, materials and energy industries.
- 8:15 AM – Waiting Room Open
- 8:30 AM – Opening and Welcome (Kurt Breede and Nigel Fung, Co-Chairs)
- 8:35 AM – Opening Remarks (Pierre Julien, CIM President)
ONLINE SESSION #1 – Strategic Minerals – Creating Opportunities; Session Chair: Jessie Liu-Ernsting
- 8:45 AM – Ontario View of Critical Minerals (Clara Lauziere, Manager, Critical Minerals Strategy Unit at Ontario Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines)
- 9:15 AM – US Critical Minerals Policy and Implication on Canada (Robert Johnston, Founding Partner, Kanata Impact Fund)
- 9:45 AM – Networking Breakout Rooms
- 10:00 AM – Critical Mineral Strategy from First Nation Business owner perspective (Jason Thompson, Superior Strategies Supply and Service and Warrior Supplies)
- 10:30 AM – Indigenous Community Integration/Involvement in Ontario’s Critical Mineral Strategy (Jason Rasevych, Partner, National Indigenous Client Services Lead, Deloitte)
- 11:00 AM – Open Floor Panel Discussion
- 11:30 AM – Keynote Address by Janice Zinck, Director of Critical Minerals and Strategic Resources, Natural Resources Canada
ONLINE SESSION #2 – Strategic Minerals – Facing the Challenges; Session Chair: Nigel Fung
- 1:00 PM – Overview of Critical Minerals and the Challenges in Meeting Demand (Chris Berry, Founder and President, House Mountain Partners)
- 1:30 PM – Perspectives on the nickel market as it relates to Canada’s Critical Mineral Strategy (Mark Selby, CEO, Canada Nickel Co.)
- 2:00 PM – Networking Breakout Rooms
- 2:15 PM – Assessing Exploration Potential of Critical Minerals Properties using AI and Machine Learning (Aaron McMahon)
- 2:45 PM – Open Floor Panel Discussion
- 3:15 PM – Questions and Closing Remark
Meet our Co-Chair
Nigel is a dynamic and innovative mining professional with more than 20 years of Canadian and international mining experience. He possesses a solid technical background in mine planning, economic analysis, evaluations, and due diligence complemented by exemplary skills in communications, commercial transactions, and customer management. Nigel has managed throughout his career short-term, medium, and long-term planning, permitting, implementation of innovation projects, and coordinated feasibility studies, pit optimisation and pit design, along with EIA permitting. He has been QP on multiple NI 43-101 technical reports. Nigel has worked extensively across Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia, and Latin America and has previously held director and vice president roles in Toronto. He completed a Bachelor of Mining Engineering at McGill University (Montreal, Quebec) and a Bachelor of Science Honours in Biology at the University of Toronto.