A Better Understanding Of Exploration Geochemistry
1 day | $795 + gst
Multi-element geochemistry is one of the most powerful tools available to an exploration geologist; it is also a tool that many skilled and seasoned practitioners struggle with day to day.
Designing effective geochemical sampling programs, managing large multi-element databases, and correctly interpreting the data are critical disciplines for an exploration geologist to master.
To explore effectively, we must integrate a diverse range of data; but geochemistry is the one dataset that directly identifies (and quantifies) mineralisation. Therefore, it warrants special attention!
Critical issues facing clients when managing and interpreting their geochemical data will be addressed in this course. Although it is not intended as a comprehensive ioGAS training course, participants will gain a working knowledge of this software learning how to use many of its functions.
Upon completion of this course, you will have a solid grounding in ten important skills in Exploration Geochemistry. You will be able to:
- Validate data, and recognise the limitations of that data;
- Use X-Y plots to explore data, validate results of more advanced investigations and link to spatially defined anomalies;
- Identify element associations in your data using Principal Component Analysis;
- Recognise that element associations are scale dependent;
- Break false correlations in your data using Centred Log Ratios;
- Understand the advantages of using probability plots over histograms;
- Construct a log-additive index that highlights an anomalous metal association;
- Use alteration geochemistry to better understand the mineralogy of a hydrothermal alteration system;
- Discriminate different rock types using immobile element ratios;
- Apply immobile-incompatible element ratios to define separate magma series (or sediment packages).
Our facilitators are experienced practitioners with a robust mix of academic and practical expertise.
DR PETER NEUMAYR
Peter is a highly motivated exploration geologist with experience ranging from the discovery of mineral deposits to the integration of geological, geochemical, and geophysical data sets.
He has a passion for interpreting the integrated data sets to generate robust exploration targets using the mineral systems concept. He is skilled in testing these exploration targets and improving the targeting strategy based on drill results leading to discovery across Australia, Uganda, Rwanda, Canada, Austria, and Egypt.
Peter’s field experience includes planning and supervision of drill programs and geological and geotechnical logging and designing and implementation of geochemical and geophysical programs. He currently delivers the one day program.
Who is this course for?
This one-day course is designed for moderately to highly experienced exploration geologists who wish to extend their skills in geochemistry. Knowledge of ioGAS is not required. Our facilitator will work systematically through each exercise, allowing time for note taking by participants.
This course is available on-site or as a customised training.
Please note that cancellations within 5 days of the course date will incur a 50% cancellation fee.
Please contact Magda Fimmano, Marketing Communications Manager on:
+61 8 9355 1677 or by email.
“I’ve been doing geochemistry data interpretations for over 25 years, but still learned a lot from Carl’s course. Especially the new methods and the use of must-have software, ioGAS. Thanks to this course, I’ve just completed a major geochemistry data review for a client which was very well received. Carl’s workshop is gold.”
Glenn Whalan – Consultant Geologist